Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What is the Difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?

The question is basically what I wanted to know. When I transfer in two years from a community college I wanted to go into Electrical Engineering but there is another major which is Electrical Engineering Technology. Then I wanted to ask: Does it have different path or classes that you have to take? Then, will the same transfer program work for both of them?(this one might be a dugh question but I still want to know)And then What is the difference between the Electrical Engineering Bachelor and the Electrical Engineering Technology.What is the Difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?
The relationship between Engineering and Engineering Technology are similar to Lawyers and Paralegals, Doctors and Nurses, Pharmacists and Pharmacy Techs. Basically an engineering technologist assist the engineer or does simpler or more hands on tasks. The programs are NOT compatible ET degrees do not require hardly any advanced math or upper level engineering classes. So if you start in ET you would almost have to start over once you transfer to the university if you wanted to be an engineer. When it comes to Engineering and Engineering Tech degrees some schools will lie or mislead you, particularly schools that only offer ET degrees. They will try and tell you that they are equivalent but they are not. You should go to ABET.org to find a real engineering school that will get you a real engineering degree.What is the Difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?
Gotta tell you...I'm not buying any of these. I attended Penn State for 2 years as comp eng. I realized I didn't like it at all but the electrical classes interested me. So I switched to EET. It was ABET which I recommend but otherwise I do the same crap at work as the EE's that I work with.

Report Abuse

What is the Difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology?
Where I went to school "Virginia Tech" EE was geared towards research and Engineering Technology - Electrical is geared towards applications. I like designing and developing things so I went into the ETE program after 3 years in EE. I think you get a broader education with ETE.



They are both BS degrees.
To me, "electrical engineering technology" is a pseudo-degree offered by places like DeVry.



Whatever you do, just make sure the university you take get your engineering degree from is ABET accredited.
  • pizza deals
  • veganism
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment